StART Mural Project: Glen Road Mural Project
Application Deadline: Wednesday, June 26th at 5:00pm
StART Mural Project – Art City in St. James Town is seeking to hire eight temporary part – time mural painters for the summer. The opportunity is for a creative young person interested in working with a team of youth to create a community based public heritage mural. The mural will be located at the Glen Road Exit of Sherbourne Subway Station.
The successful candidate will work with mural artists who will mentor them from July 29th to August 30th, 2013. The individual will gain valuable experience in painting techniques, art research, design and execution of major public artwork for the community.
The ideal candidates should demonstrate:
- An interest in and commitment to visual arts (or strong desire to learn)
- Willingness to expand personal visual arts/mural arts knowledge
- Leadership interest and/or experience
- A connection to St. James Town (through volunteerism, residence, work or life experience)
- Ability to work with diverse groups
- Versatility, resourcefulness and creativity
- Good communication skills
- An ability to follow multiple instructions
Applicants must also:
- Be a young person aged 16 to 24
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person to whom refugee protection has been granted under the Immigration and Refuge Protection Act, and legally entitled to work in Ontario
- Note that preference will be given to applicants who have shown interest in and commitment to arts organizations and projects in the St. James Town area.
Pay: $600 honorarium upon completion
Hours: July 29 – August 30, Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 2:00 pm, (with possible additional dates on weekends, and in September). This is a flexible part – time position. Successful candidates will be required to commit to 15-20 hours per week.
TO APPLY please submit the following by email to email@example.com by 5:00 pm on June 26th, 2013
- A resume
- One example of your visual arts work (photographs or copies sent by email or as a URL for works posted online. Be sure your name is clearly marked on your work.)
- A one page cover letter briefly addressing ALL of the following:
- What is your career or academic interest?
- Describe your past or current experience in visual arts.
- Tell us about some of the places you have worked or volunteered.
- Describe your connection to St. James Town and what you love about the community.