StART Mural Project: Glen Road Mural Project
Application Deadline: Wednesday, June 26th at 5:00pm
StART Mural Project – Art City in St. James Town is seeking to hire one temporary full time Lead Artists’ Assistant for the summer. The opportunity is for a creative leader interested in working with youth to create a community based public heritage mural. The mural will be located at the Glen Road Exit of Sherbourne Subway Station.
The successful candidate will work as the lead assistant to a professional mural artist mentoring 8 young mural artists from July 29th to August 30th, 2013. The individual will gain valuable experience in supervision, leadership, art research, design and execution of major public artwork for the community.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- A commitment to working in visual arts and ideally in large scale/ mural arts
- A connection to St. James Town (through volunteerism, residence, work or life experience)
- Ability to work with diverse groups
- Versatility, resourcefulness and creativity
- Good communication skills
- An ability to follow multiple instructions and uphold safety standards
- Knowledge of traditional brush painting and classical application methods
- Solid understanding of colour mixing/ theory
Applicants must also:
- Be a young person aged 21-29
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person to who refugee protection has been granted under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work in Ontario
- Note that preference will be given to applicants who have shown interest in and commitment to arts organizations and projects in the St. James Town Area
- Attended school full –time during the previous academic year and returning to full time studies in the fall.
Pay: $11/ hour – lunch will be provided
Hours: July 29th – August 30th
Monday through Friday between 9:00am – 2:00pm (with possible additional dates on weekends and in September)
TO APPLY please submit the following by email to email@example.com by 5:00 pm on June 26th, 2013
- A resume
- Portfolio of 5-10 of your visual art works (photo or copies sent in by email or as URL for works posted online. No originals please! Be sure your name is clearly marked on your work)
- One page cover letter briefly addressing ALL of the 5 questions:
- What is your career or academic interest?
- Describe your past or current experience in visual arts
- Tell us about some of the places you have worked or volunteered
- Describe your connection to St. James Town and what you love about the community