Yup, thats right Art City is searching for a Arts Education Intern to start in July!
Art City in St.James Town is currently accepting applications for summer Arts Education Interns to serve as mentors to the children (aged 6-13) attending its daily arts program.
Art City will be running a six week summer program from July 2nd to August 10th. Each week will cater to a specific age group and different themes. Daily workshops will include drawing, painting, sculpture, silkscreen, animation, music, theatre and dance.
Week 1: Ages 6-9
“Planes, Trains and Automobiles”
Week 2: Ages 10-13
“Photography and Design”
Week 3: Ages 6-9
Week 4: Ages 6-13
“Fashion & Fabric”
Week 5: Ages 10-13
“Parks & Pencils”
Week 6: 6-12
Arts Education interns would develop and deliver this programming in collaboration with visiting artists, the Art City Program Committee and Art City staff. Depending on interest, the intern may be asked to participate in other special initiatives or assist with management tasks. Internships will be planned in consideration of participants’ professional objectives.
• Working towards a post secondary degree, or equivalent, in one or more of the visual and performing arts, craft or design disciplines
• Passionate about the arts and capable of transferring that enthusiasm to a group of students
• Collaborative team player
• Excellent verbal communication skills
• Strong time management and creative problem solving skills
• Resourceful • Flexible and able to adjust to changing environments?
• Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural diversity
• Experience leading groups through collective or independent work tasks
• Experience working with children is an asset
• Experience working within a non-profit environment is an asset
• Plan educational arts activities in collaboration with visiting artists and Art City staff
• Prepare the studio space and work materials before each day’s activity
• Provide guidance and assistance to the students as they complete their work
• Provide encouraging and constructive feedback to students about their work
• Liaise with parents on an ongoing basis regarding their children’s participation in the program
• Create a supportive environment that promotes positive attitudes and the development of healthy, empathetic relationships between participants
• Assist with administrative tasks, such as registration, attendance and distribution of newsletters
• Supervise children on their outdoor breaks and lead them through simple games?
• Supervise children on field trips
Art City in St.James Town is committed to providing a creative outlet, a safe haven, and a non¬discriminatory environment for children living within the St. James Town community. Our mandate is to use the arts to foster creative thinking, self-esteem, entrepreneurship, and personal accomplishments. The programs offered are varied and the richness and diversity of all our participants is celebrated. We are passionate in our belief that it is through art that we can foster the development of responsible and healthy relationships amongst our children and ultimately within the community in which they live.
St. James Town is North America’s most culturally diverse neighbourhood and one of Canada’s most densely populated neighbourhoods. Art City is a distinct and unique art centre that is fully integrated into the neighbourhood.
* Our interns must be available on June 27th for a training session and provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police Check.
* Only successful candidates will be contacted.
* Start Date: July 2nd, 2012
Send a copy of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org